1. “Don’t worry, you’ll be in a relationship next year!”
Unless you have a crystal ball and some seriously powerful psychic abilities, you have no idea whether that’ll be true or not. But either way, it doesn’t matter. A relationship isn’t the key to happiness. It’s possible to be single and have an amazing V-Day , and it’s equally possible to have a V-Day that kind of sucks even if you’re in a relationship .
2. “I hate Valentine’s Day, too!”
Um, who said I hate Valentine’s Day just because I’m single? The holiday is about love in all its forms — love for yourself, your family, and your friends. That’s totally awesome. Plus, it gives me an excuse to break out anything pink with hearts all over it.
3. “What are you doing for Valentine’s Day?”
Why? What are YOU doing?
4. “Oh, so you’re going to spend V-Day watching The Notebook and crying into your popcorn, right?”
Why would you assume I’m going to see a cliche romantic movie on February 14th? Anyway, if I do end up sobbing over a Nicholas Sparks movie on Valentine’s Day, it’s because his movies are meticulously calculated to produce water works and not for any other reason. And anyway, popcorn tastes better with a lil salt, so bring on the tears.
5. “Galentine’s Day is so lame.”
My favorite Valentine’s Day ever involved getting glammed up with my best friend in red and pink dresses, chowing down on yummy Italian food, and dancing to all our favorite songs together. Lame? Not at all. It was actually more fun than spending the holiday with my boyfriend the year before — picking out the perfect card and gift was surprisingly stressful, and spending the day with him felt like any other day, just with a load of extra pressure added on top.
6. “It’s just a Hallmark holiday.”
You’re right, it’s not a national or religious holiday like Thanksgiving or Christmas. But it’s still fun to celebrate, if you choose.
7. “You probably wear all-black on Valentine’s Day, right?”
I might! I own a lot of black clothing. But since the holiday is the perfect occasion to bust out my girliest pink clothes and lipstick, I might do that, too. My relationship status has nothing to do with how I dress.
8. “Just wait ’till you’re in a relationship — then you’ll see what a big deal Valentine’s Day is.”
Possibly. But even though I’m not currently dating anyone, I can still, y’know, use my imagination and empathize that V-Day is extra-special to people who are in relationships.
9. “Who’s your Valentine?”
My best friend. My cat. Troy Bolton. This is a dumb question. Next!
10. “Aren’t you lonely?”
No. Aren’t you?
11. “You must be so bitter this time of year.”
Only a bitter person would say something like that.
12. “Soooo… do you like anyone?”
Maybe! And it’s none of your business on Valentine’s Day or any other day.
13. “Did anyone send you a candy-gram?”
Is this just your way of humble-bragging about how many candy-grams you received? Congrats, I don’t care.
14. “I got so many candy-grams I can’t even carry them all to my locker.”
Poor you! I’d offer to help carry some, but my hands are full playing the world’s tiniest violin.